Underwear maker Tommy John (TJ Enterprises) quietly launched a new line of lower-cost undershirts at Target recently, under the Sleek FX brand.
In doing a little research, it appears the company registered the Sleek FX trademark, along with several others, including InvisiGrip, Quick Draw, and EFG. Likewise, it registered two other trademarks related to “tailored stretch” and “stay tucked” technology around May of 2011.
Sleek FX Brand Products
All trademarks, however, broadly describe the products this way:
Athletic & Dancers’ Apparel
- Ankle socks, Anklets, Antiperspirant socks
- Apparel for dancers, namely, tee shirts, sweatshirts, pants, leggings, shorts and jackets
- Athletic apparel, namely, shirts, pants, jackets, footwear, hats and caps, athletic uniforms
- Children’s and infant’s apparel, namely, jumpers, overall sleepwear, pajamas, rompers and one-piece garments
- Chidlren’s and infants’ apparel treated with fire and heat retardants, namely, jumpers, overall sleepwear, pajamas, rompers and one-piece garments
Sleek FX – Miscellaneous?
- Compression garments for athletic or other non-medical use, namely, t-shirts for everyday wear
- Disposable underwear
- Gloves for apparel
- Jackets and socks
(This category also includes: Jeans, Leggings, namely, pants that are partially jeans and partially leggings. Weird combo, byt the way, right?)
Sleek FX Underwear Categories
- Knitted underwear, Ladies’ underwear, Long underwear
- Men’s dress socks, Men’s socks, Men’s underwear
- Non-slip socks
- Perspiration absorbent underwear clothing
- Scientific and technological apparel, namely, shirts, pants, jackets, footwear, hats and caps, uniforms
T-Shirts, Socks & Stockings
- Short-sleeved or long-sleeved t-shirts
- Slipper socks, Socks, Socks and stockings
- T-shirts, T-shirts for adult men and women.
Various Warming Underwear
- Thermal socks, Thermal underwear
- Underwear, namely, boy shorts
- Women’s underwear
- Woven or knitted underwear
Therefore, it looks as though TJE is diversifying its scope of business with Sleek FX. Instead of just focusing on the original underwear line, it’s going after a wide array of clothing items,
Next, I did a little further digging. I found that Dana Fried from the Delphic Group has been a board member of TJE since it’s inception. In other words, it’s Dana who helped them get connected with overseas manufacturing and financing to help the brand grow.
TJE Undershirts: Quality Review
Sleek FX undershirts are made with a 95% cotton, 5% spandex blend.
The product description contains words such as trim, soft, and very long. Priced at $16.99 for a 2-pack.
At this lower price point, TJE is looking to compete in a different price-range than it normally does. Considering the company’s original micromodal/lycra undershirts retail for around $36-$38, this range will hit lower price ranges.
It’ll be interesting to see how it all plays out at Target. In particular, whether or not a 95/5 product at that price point can last there.
As far as I could tell, the only other 95/5 product at Target except for Sleek FX was the Hanes ComfortFlex undershirts. They were priced at $13.99 for a 2-pack. Compared to TJEs, they come cheaper.
Furthermore, I did a little recon at several Target stores in the Los Angeles area over the last couple of days. First, I was unable to locate Sleek FX products.
Nonetheless, persistence pays off. In the end, I found them at Target Store a little further out (pictured above and below).
Sleek FX cotton spandex packaging – backFor your reference, the Target item number for the Sleek FX medium crew is 040010054.
In summary, I picked up a pack of medium v-neck (upc 8 16049 01089 0) and crew neck (upc 8 16049 01085 2).
The items show the product website as www.SLEEKFXWEAR.com. However, as of this writing, there is no website at that URL, just a parked Godaddy.com page.
I’ll be wearing them soon. Keep an eye out for a product review before the end of the year.
Finally, here’s a map of the Target Stores where you can find Sleek FX:
View Sleek FX – Target Stores Retail Locations in a full-screen map