Special Update on Gosling’s Henley Shirt
If you’re here, you’re likely wondering two things:
- What Henley shirt was Ryan Gosling wearing in the movie Drive, and
- Where can you get it?
The short answers are:
- A special vintage-era (made in the 1940’s) Henley shirt from a company called Williams. See below for more info about the specific shirt.
- Your best bet is a some Vintage store, because they haven’t been made for about 40-50 years.
Ryan Gosling’s Henley Shirt
The henley shirt Ryan Gosling was wearing in Drive (2011). What brand was it?
ANSWER: It was a Williams Vintage Henley from Mister Freedom. SEE BELOW.
In an effort to save you a little time, the closest comparable Henleys to the one Ryan wore are:
- Henley T Shirt from Magnoli Clothiers ($45). Pretty much exact replica of the Henley Ryan wore in Drive. 100% Cotton & Slim Fitting. Although this company is based in New Zealand, it looks like shipping may be included in the purchase price. What a deal!
- Vince Cotton Slub Henley T-Shirt ($68) – Combines all the best elements of a cool henley with a casual tee
- White Camisa de Chino SS ($9.99) – Information courtesy of a reader who posted the product info and link in a comment below. Looks very similar, except there appears to be some design incorporated into the sleeve cuffs.
- Henleys from Union Made Goods. Check out the one from H.W. Carter & Sons (color: Natural). Information courtesy of Mister Freedom. See below for more information about Mister Freedom.
- Merz b. Schwanen (Germany-based) 1920’s worker shirt Henley. You can also view their entire collection of “Button Facing Shirts” (Henleys). This company has shops in many locations throughout the world, but I’m not sure if they offer these items in all the stores.
(AG) Adriano Goldschmied – Short Sleeve Henley ($98) – Just got word of this Made-in-USA Henley product by way of an advertiser. Looks like the company manufactures in Los Angeles, CA, and has 12 retail locations. Good thing though, you can order the Henley online too! (I was asked to give a shout out to Adam in the South Beach store for providing the information about this awesome Henley!)
Everything from here forward is from the original article.
— Original Article Begin —
Well, I don’t know for sure, but there are several possibilities, including:
Sunspel Henley Undershirt: 3-button front Short Sleeve, 100% two fold Egyptian cotton ($68.96 USD)
Adam: Short-Sleeve Henley T-Shirt ($50)
No longer available – original link – http://www.shopadam.com/mens-tees/short-sleeve-henley-t-shirt/invt/adabjs27/
JCrew: Homespun Knitwear short-sleeve henley shirt ($65)
LVC Levi’s 20’S Henley Tee ($105)
Nordstrom: Alternative ‘Moroccan’ Trim Fit Henley Shirt (nordstroms.com) ($38)
I’m gonna see if I can get in touch with one of the costume designers to find out.
— Original Article End —
I got connected with the lead person who worked in wardrobe on the movie Drive, and this is what she had to say about the Henleys Ryan Gosling wore:
I went to your website and read your guesses. They are good guesses, but they are all wrong.
Ryan’s henleys were 1940’s vintage henleys.
Hmmm…maybe I’ll go check out the store – it sounds pretty damn cool and maybe I’ll find some vintage undershirts!
9/22/11 Update #2
I contacted the folks at Mister Freedom to let them know about the article and the store’s founder, Christophe Loiron, was cool enough to get back to me and provide the following, additional information:
Hello Tug and thank you very much for the ‘plug’ ;-)
Indeed had a long chat with Ryan at the store when he was working on his wardrobe (he’s one of the few who actually works close with his stylist to get clothes that work for his characters).
We discussed ideas for a jacket that he wanted to be as iconic as De Niro M-65 in Taxi driver etc…
The henleys came after.
We always have a large selection of vintage henleys, from new-old-stock military issue to 1940’s vintage pieces, mostly 3/4 sleeves but s/s as well.
We also have our original Mister Freedom production (made from vintage cotton jersey knit), our “gym henleys” http://www.misterfreedom.com/?p=1299.
Jordan and John will answer any Qs you might have.
Thanks again for the kind support.
Check out the costume tag on the far right.
Hell, if you’ve got an extra $2k sitting around, you can own the original costume Ryan wore in the movie.
Thanks to my new best friends over at The Golden Closet, and for your viewing pleasure, I am now in possession of some A-MAZE-ING hi-resolution original photos of the vintage henleys Ryan Gosling wore in the movie.
What’s most interesting about these photos, is that in a couple of them you can clearly see the WPL# of the henleys along with Williams brand name.
WPL numbers were used between 1941-1959, prior to the introduction of RN numbers.
So simply put, you know that these henleys are the real deal.
I’ll talk about WPL and RN numbers in a subsequent post.