A little playful fun, but I saw this topic (and image) discussed over on my pal’s site, Ask Andy About Clothes.
Topic: Linen Shirt Under Undershirt (link)
I’ve discussed this topic about wearing undershirts under linen shirts in the past.
My general rule of thumb is that if you feel you’re more comfortable wearing an undershirt under linen, you should.
But, there were some additional points mentioned in the article, that I thought were worth sharing:
Please keep in mind that “appropriate” is 100% subjective, and there are no right or wrong rules as it pertains to how or what you wear. There are only opinions (of varying intensities).
If you need an undershirt for sweat protection, wear an undershirt. (A proper, lightweight undershirt should not make you feel any warmer, to any noticeable degree)
If you need an undershirt to feel more comfortable/confident when wearing a more transparent linen shirt, wear an undershirt.
If you need an undershirt to cover up tattoos or scars you do not wish to show, wear an undershirt.
If you have a lot of chest or back hair, prefer not to trim it, and like the layer of undershirt there to help your linen undershirt to drape better, go ahead and wear that undershirt.
– Try a thinner, lighter weight undershirt
– One that is more body fitting
– One that has a neutral tone like grey, heather grey, or possibly tone as those colors reflect less light and should be less visible under a more transparent linen shirt
– If you’re wearing an open collar, try a v-neck
– If you run really hot, but still want the added layer for any of the above reasons, or some other reason, try a tank top undershirt
Here’s a great article about thin lightweight undershirts.
If you’re looking for articles related to neutral or invisible undershirts, try this search: