How did I decide to dedicate an article to complicated care instructions? Well, let’s just say that Mrs. Tug has recently become a rather big fan of Uniqlo’s Ultra Light Down Vests & Jackets.
That’s because they are warm, light, and very compact.
In fact, they’re so compact, you can roll them up and fit them into a fairly small pouch that comes with the Ultra Light Down products.
As a result, everyone seems to be wearing them. Men & Women.
We were discussing the fit of one of her newly acquired Uniqlo vests, wondering if it was slightly too big, and whether or not she should return it for a smaller size.
Although the shell is synthetic, I suggested there was a possibility that the vest may shrink a tad after washing and tumble drying.
So, I asked if I could look at the care label.
Uniqlo Ultra Light Down Vest Care Instructions
- HAND WASH COLD
- ONLY NON-CHLORINE BLEACH WHEN NEEDED
- LINE DRY
- DO NOT IRON
- DO NOT DRYCLEAN
- PROFESSIONAL MACHINES WASH OR HAND WASH RECOMMENDED
- DO NOT WASH WITH OTHER ITEMS
- USE LIQUID WOOL/SILK DETERGENT
- DO NOT USE BLEACH AND DETERGENT WITH FLUORESCING AGENT
- RINSE WELL WITH WATER
- AVOID USING HOUSEHOLD WASHING MACHINES AND SPIN DRYERS
- DRIP DRY IN A LOCATION AWAY FROM DIRECT SUNLIGHT
- DO NOT STORE DAMP
- RUB AND STRETCH THE DOWN TO REGAIN ITS LOFT DUE TO THE NATURAL CHARACTERISTICS OF FEATHERS, SOME DOWN AND FEATHERS MAY STICK OUT ALONG THE SEAMS FROM FRICTION AND STATIC ELECTRICITY. IN SUCH CASES, DO NOT PULL THE DOWN AND FEATHERS OUT. PULL THEM BACK IN FROM THE OPPOSITE SIDE
- PACKAGING THE ITEM FOR A PROLONGED PERIOD OF TIME RESULTS IN WRINKLES
- STRETCH THE WRINKLES AND HANG THE ITEM UNTIL IT RETURNS TO ITS ORIGINAL SHAPE
Wow! Didn’t expect such care instructions, did you?
I think Uniqlo would be better served if they just said:
Hand wash cold, line dry, period. Any other care is strictly discouraged and done at your own risk.
But, I can’t say I’m a huge fan of complicated care labels.
Keeping it as simple as possible is my preference, but I do understand when you have to pay attention to how you care for more delicate fabrics.
But the care instructions above are pretty darn crazy, IMO.