Out of all the undershirts one police officer tried (and he tried many), he settled on the Tight Crew Short Sleeve Shirt from 5.11 Tactical. But from his comments, you could tell that it wasn’t his “ideal” high-performing police undershirt.
Back in November 2011, I received this email from Ron B, the founder of CoolCop (a now retired police officer):
Tug, I am looking for a carbon embedded, anti-microbial, anti-odor fabric in order to make my own t-shirt line. Do you know of a source for such fabric?
As a police officer himself, Ron was never satisfied with the undershirts he was wearing under his body armor, so he set out on a 2-year venture to design, develop, and manufacture the very best performing undershirt that could be comfortably worn by law enforcement under their kevlar.
Well Ron recently got back in touch with me to introduce his new CoolCop Carbon-Tech Performance T-shirt!
CoolCop Carbon-Tech Performance T-shirt
Description: The CoolCop Carbon-Tech Performance Cooling T-shirt is the first undershirt specifically designed to wear under your body armor. The nylon fabric is infused with carbon and scientifically proven to fight moisture, humidity and odor. The fabric is soft but durable and extremely comfortable, with just the right amount of stretch.
- Product Page: http://coolcop.com/cooling-tshirt/
- Price: $34.95
- Colors: Tactical Black
- Style: Crew Neck
- Sizes: One size fits most (M-XL)
- Fabric: Nylon / Carbon Polyester/ Spandex
- Fit: Compression
- Seamless body construction
- Outstanding evaporative cooling performance. Moisture-wicking
- Active embedded carbon pulls moisture away from body
- Anti-odor and anti-microbial
- Super-breathable ventilation panels where you wear your armor and where you sweat the most (compatible with the CoolCop A/C Device)
My Initial Thoughts
Ron was kind enough to send over a pre-production sample of the Carbon-Tech Shirt a couple of months ago to try out, and here are some of my initial thoughts after wearing it to the gym a few times:
- Probably one of the most comfortable synthetic shirts I’ve ever worn. The nylon has a really soft hand and feels more like cotton or bamboo
- Compression fit is close, but not constricting.
- Body fit is really nice. Seamless construction + raglan sleeve design attached with flat lock sewing provides smooth body-friendly contours
- After my workout, the Carbon-Tech tee is covered in sweat, but I still feel pretty dry. Shirt dries pretty fast too
- How does it perform under Kevlar Body Armor? Well, I don’t own any, so we’ll have to wait and hear from a police office
- Although designed for law enforcement, I don’t see any reason why this performance athletic t-shirt couldn’t be worn as a base layer in any industry or sport where a high performing, fast drying base layer shirt is needed or desired
All-in-all, I’d say the CoolCop Carbon T-Shirt lives up to all the marketing claims. Though, I’ll look forward to hearing from one or more police officers who’ve actually worn the t-shirt under Kevlar to see what they think of it.
Are You A Cop?
If you’re a police office and wind up trying this undershirt, please come back and let me know what you think about it in the comments section below.